I have always loved to cook but never really had many people to cook for before I had children. Obviously when I was younger I preferred to eat out with friends and
family rather than stay in and cook a nice meal. Now that my husband works such crazy hours and we have two little kids, I find that Im cooking almost every meal during the week and surprisingly enjoying it!
This will be our second Thanksgiving here in London. Last year we spent our holiday in Ikea looking for cutlery and blankets since the hurricane in NYC had put a delay on everything arriving here on time to our house in London. So to make sure things are perfect for the big day on Thursday, I have decided to make my famous Sweet Potato Mash in a somewhat healthy way and I have to say it came out better than ever! Hope you enjoy it!
- Boil 6 sweet potatoes for 45 min or until well done
- Peel all the sweet potatoes ( you can leave some skin, I prefer none)
- Add 3 tablespoons of the boiled sweet potato water ( the water has a sweet flavor, natural sugars )
- 2 Tablespoons of butter ( don’t get nervous there are 6 potatoes ladies)
- 1/2 cup of reduced fat milk ( if for some reason it’s not wet enough add a splash more milk )
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 3/4 Tablespoon of cinnamon
- 2 pinches of nutmeg
- 4 teaspoons of good quality Apricot Jam ( Thanks Mom for teaching me that )
Mix everything with a potato masher and place into a nice serving dish…some people may prefer
marshmallows on top which my housekeeper begged me to put on, but I usually prefer plain if Im trying to keep it simple and healthy! If you do like marshmallows then bake in the oven for 10 mins on high heat to make a crispy marshmallows crust. Hope you enjoy this recipe!